Today I was accused on a baseball chat board of being unbearably smug.
I admitted it -- in talking about baseball, I am smug. Somebody else raised the question, are you as smug in talking about wine?
I don't believe so. Wine and baseball are too different.
I have met people who are smug about wine: generally, people on the mailing lists of what they consider to be all the right wineries. I have dined with many people who consider whole classes of wines beneath them: the anything-but-Chardonnay crowd, for example. Quite often while visiting Napa Valley I have heard tourists smugly mocking the drinking habits of their neighbors back home. "They drink White Zinfandel!" they'll sneer, while in the process of paying $50 for a run-of-the-mill Napa Cab because of its name value.
I don't believe anyone's personal wine tastes can be criticized by others. If you like White Zin, find yourself a brand you like and enjoy it. Why not? There's a time and place for any competently made wine. On a hot day, with a plateful of barbecued pork ribs in spicy sauce, White Zinfandel would taste a hell of a lot better than any Napa Cabernet.
I do smugly criticize one group: Points chasers. People who buy wines only because they got a great Parker score aren't making an aesthetic decision: they're buying wine purely for status. I feel smug towards them because I'm fairly certain that if they had the greatest wine in the French Laundry's wine cellar in their glass, but it didn't have a famous name, they would never appreciate it.
But generally speaking, I'm a drink-what-you-like guy. I encourage people to try many things so you can discover what you like. But I'm not going to tell you your judgments are wrong. One of my best friends, who has a great palate, refuses to drink any Pinot Blanc; he just hates it. I think a good crisp Pinot Blanc is fine with raw fish dishes or salads. But I don't need to convince him. He knows what he's doing. And frankly, I feel the same way about Pinotage (ugh, it tastes like rubber tires.)
Baseball, on the other hand, is not an area where aesthetic choices matter. Much of baseball theory is statistically provable; I can demonstrate to you that intentionally grounding out to advance a runner, or sacrificing in the first inning, is a bad play, yet many fans would still applaud it.
With wine, I'm not sure anything is statistically provable. Other than technically flawed wines, there are far fewer areas in which one can be clearly right or wrong. It's just not an area for smugness.
So if you're making fun of your neighbors' wine choices, stop. You're the one who's wrong.
Saturday, July 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment