Alder Yarrow is one of the best people I know in the wine biz. He runs the best wine blog in the country, Vinography, and is generous enough to link to every other wine blogger on the planet.
If you read Alder's blog, you'll know that he's populist to a fault. Alder can't stand pretension and hates wine writers telling people what they should drink and how and when they should drink it. Sometimes I think he goes too far -- for example, when he wrote that wine and food pairings don't matter -- but his heart is always in the right place, which is to demystify wine and debunk the idea that you have to pay more to get a better bottle.
Today, Alder announced that he has been using the expertise from his day job, computer software design, to create new wine-cellar management software.
This fills a huge gap in the marketplace. There isn't really any good software out there. I have never been able to figure out how to use Cellar Tracker. Personally I manage my own cellar with a simple text list of wines that I try to go through every six months or so to see what needs to be drunk (current list: 44 bottles I should have drunk already.)
I'm a bit of a Luddite, as you can tell from the design of this blog, so I'm not going to try to describe his software. Instead, I encourage you to visit vinography.com and download the beta. Tell me how it works; I've got 44 bottles to get through.
Friday, July 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment