Yesterday my partner had to have a new crown put in. She got more than the minimum amount of novocaine, apparently asking for more a couple of times.
She had a late afternoon appointment and I was enjoying a glass of Columbia Valley Merlot when she came in. I poured her some and she complained that it tasted bitter -- like lemonade without the sugar -- with a bad aftertaste. Ugh!
She grabbed a ripe banana to cleanse her palate, but discovered that bananas also tasted bitter. Poor her. She fretted, "What if my taste buds are permanently damaged? I don't want to live in a world where bananas taste bitter." She didn't mention Merlot -- I guess that's easier to give up.
I insisted that she keep tasting the Merlot every 30 minutes until our impressions of it became similar. It was a fascinating experiment, and I wonder if taste scientists have done this sort of thing.
The first "normal" taste to come back for her was oak -- she tasted vanilla, and wood, about an hour before she tasted cherry.
She also said she noticed cherry as an aftertaste about 30 minutes before she noticed it on first sip. But she thought that might have been because she could smell the cherry fairly strongly, even though she couldn't taste it.
I don't know that we learned anything important from this, other than "Don't open expensive wines after dental work." But I guess even that's worth knowing.
Saturday, February 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment