Monday, October 13, 2008

Have you ever poured Champagne on yourself?

I have. When I got a phone call offering me a job I really wanted, soon after muddling through a professional-sounding acceptance, I got off the phone, cued up the Ramones' version of "Do You Wanna Dance?", pulled a bottle of Schramsberg out of the fridge and did a little jig on the patio, pouring the bubbly over myself and my wife.

My wife, who hadn't been warned, had fetched bubbly glasses when she saw the wine and was surprised to taste it running down her face. I still remember it as a great moment in my life; she probably remembers it an unexpected eye-burn.

This column
by ESPN's Gene Wojciechowski reminded me of that day. I clicked on it because the link implied that Wojciechowski was going to rant against Champagne in sports, and I was prepared to be offended. Instead, I agreed with all of his points, particularly that wearing swim goggles to a Champagne spraying is wimpy.

His main point is that events need to be really important to merit spraying perfectly good bubbly (though let's hope ballplayers use Cook's or Andre). First-round playoff wins don't suffice. And neither do small raises or promotions.

That said, most of us have had a Champagne spray-worthy moment in our lives. Did you take advantage? You can't wait: it's got to be that moment, not an hour later.

Let me add that I'll be keeping some affordable bubbly chilled and ready in the fridge on Nov. 4.

No comments: