Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Marilyn Manson's absinthe ("Mansinthe") rocks



The bottle of Mansinthe sat on my desk, amusing me, for weeks.

I like weird packaging: I had a box of Mud & Bugs cereal on my desk for a while, and I kept for several years the cardboard container for a Japanese-made can opener that assured me, "This product will be your lifelong companion. We can see that it has mild heart."



You can see the appeal: Is that really an absinthe-addled Marilyn Manson on the label? If so, the stuff's really as bad for you as its 19th century reputation suggests. And no wonder -- it's 66.6% alcohol. (Surely that number is no coincidence.)

Mansinthe is made in Switzerland, and the back label copy is in Swiss-German, not one of my best languages. But I can report that the primary botanicals in this concoction are Swiss wormwood, green anise and fennel. It's produced in an 80-year-old distillery that was re-engineered when Switzerland lifted the absinthe ban in 2005.

Press materials for the product claim that Manson "was intensely involved in development by constantly tasting samples, critiquing and providing feedback to the distillers. Marilyn Manson has been drinking absinthe for years and has had the connections and opportunity to taste all qualities, including vintage absinthe. His palate for absinthe is well developed and he would not accept an inferior product that would also bear his name."

Yeah, that name. Mansinthe. I just like saying it. "Taste of Mansinthe, big boy?" Created in Switzerland with San Francisco in mind (though "Manjuice" might be even more appropriate -- an alcoholic eggnog endorsed by O.J. Simpson, perhaps?)

Anyway, the Mansinthe brought me pleasure similar to Marilyn Manson's music: fun as long as I kept it at arm's length. Curiosity didn't overcome me for weeks. Until today.

I couldn't let the year end without tasting Mansinthe. Would it be better than a Manwich? Or a Manhandler? Or Men at Work?

Mansinthe is very light green until you add a little water (at 66.6% alcohol, I don't see how you could drink it straight). Then it turns an eerie shade of yellowish-green that gives the impression of glowing slightly.

The aroma is strongly licoricey; the anise dominates other botanicals to the extent that it's almost medicinal. I feared the Mansinthe, but I refuse to let fear determine what I put in my mouth (don't tell my HMO).

I closed my eyes, took a sip -- and was very pleasantly surprised. Mansinthe is quite smooth, with flavors of anise, fennel, eucalyptus, and even a hint of almonds. The finish is long and breath-cleansing, but in a good way. If you like pastis or sambuca, you'll like this. Despite its potency, I found it refreshing for the palate.

Now I know what you're asking: where can I procure some Mansinthe? Try the official website, which complains bitterly about another blogger who panned the stuff. I wonder if Marilyn Manson bothers to write a screed complaining about every blogger who doesn't like his music. Don't slam me, Marilyn, I like your Mansinthe. I'm laughing with you. This time.

Dear reader, may your 2009 be filled with happy surprises in the mouth.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

An amusing post :-)

The same distillery that makes Mansinthe also makes a few other wonderful gimmick products:

Twin Tec "Biker Medicine"
http://absinthe.msjekyll.com/forum/10017.shtml

etcetra

"this absinthe would have to combine the smooth but dominant silhouette and the powerful, sonorous bubble of a Harley engine on its way in, with the long lingering and slowly fading thunder of an open Twin Tec Harley on a lonesome country road on its way down"

LOL

Anonymous said...

yaaaaay absintheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Anonymous said...

Absinthe is the new coke. like pepsi