Monday, November 3, 2008

Google advertising: Is it worth it?

Not being independently wealthy, I signed up to put Google ads on this site.

The second ad I got -- and it's up there as I type this -- is for the "Yes on Prop. 8" campaign, encouraging my readers in California to vote to remove the right to marry from same-sex couples.

Wow, talking about selling out for filthy lucre. I don't even have a check yet, and when I get it, the check will probably be for $0.03. For this I have given up control of my own blog.

Is it worth it?

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I wanted to let you know I have really enjoyed reading your blog. I also wanted to tell you I'm sorry the ads on your blog are not the opinions of them author, that is the main reason I haven't gotten set up with ads. Have you gotten the check yet?

W. Blake Gray said...

Hey 20-something, thanks for the nice comments. Nope, not only did I have to take advertising I personally abhorred -- I haven't gotten a check yet. It's bad enough to sell out; worse still that I sold out for nothing. Cautionary tale. Maybe I'll get a check some day, but for now I have to say Google advertising isn't worth it.

W. Blake Gray said...

I just found out that I have to earn $100 in advertising revenue before Google will pay me anything at all. Currently I'm at $10.15, which means at this pace I should be due a check in about 2 1/2 years.

Moreover, in order to receive this potential future check, I have to give Google my Social Security Number, online.

So I have to say again that accepting Google Ads doesn't appear to be worth it. But hey, ask me again in 2 1/2 years when I'm rolling in dough!